Did you defer a VAT payment under the Government VAT Deferral Scheme last year?
The online service for the VAT deferral payment scheme opens on 23rd February. The new scheme will enable you to pay the deferred VAT in instalments over up to 11 months.
If you deferred VAT payments due between 20 March and 30 June 2020 and still have payments to make, you can:
- pay the deferred VAT in full, on or before 31 March 2021;
- join the VAT deferral new payment scheme – the online service is open between 23 February and 21 June 2021;
- contact HMRC on Telephone: 0800 024 1222 by 30 June if you need extra help to pay.
You may be charged interest or a penalty if you do not:
- pay the deferred VAT in full by 31 March 2021;
- opt into the new payment scheme by 21 June 2021;
- agree extra help to pay with HMRC by 30 June 2021.
Pay your deferred VAT
You can pay your deferred VAT in full by 31 March 2021 and you do not need to contact HMRC.
If you want to join the new scheme
The VAT deferral new payment scheme will be open from 23 February up to and including 21 June 2021.
If you’re on the VAT Annual Accounting Scheme or the VAT Payment on Account Scheme, you’ll be invited to join the new payment scheme later in March 2021.
The new scheme lets you:
- pay your deferred VAT in equal instalments, interest free
- choose the number of instalments, from 2 to 11 (depending on when you join)
To use the online service, you must:
- join the scheme yourself, your agent cannot do this for you
- still have deferred VAT to pay
- be up to date with your VAT returns
- join by 21 June 2021
- pay the first instalment when you join
- pay your instalments by Direct Debit (if want to use the scheme but cannot pay by Direct Debit, there’s an alternative entry route for you)
If you join the scheme, you can still have a Time to Pay arrangement for other HMRC debts and outstanding tax.
Instalment options available to you
The month you decide to join the scheme will determine the maximum number of instalments that are available to you. If you join the scheme in March, you’ll be able to pay your deferred VAT in 11 instalments or fewer.
If you join by:
- 19 March 2021 there will be 11 instalments available to you
- 21 April 2021 there will be 10 instalments available to you
- 19 May 2021 there will be 9 instalments available to you
- 21 June 2021 there will be 8 instalments available to you
Before you join the scheme
Before joining, you must:
- create your own Government Gateway account (if you do not already have one)
- submit any outstanding VAT returns from the last 4 years – otherwise you’ll not be able to join the scheme
- correct errors on your VAT returns as soon as possible
- make sure you know how much you owe, including the amount you originally deferred and how much you may have already paid